Friday, June 17, 2016

Iraq Bank Notes


            


Central Bank :          Central Bank of Iraq
Headquarters :      BaghdadIraq
Established           1947
Currency :                 Iraqi Dinar
User(s) :                    Iraq

Symbol :              ع.د

Subunit
11,000fils
◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙

5 dinars
Item Code: 25/iq-1
Year: 1982
Obverse : Gali-Ali waterfall at center.
Reverse : Al-Ukhether castle at center.



10 dinars

Item Code: 26/iq-2
Year: 1982.
Obverse : Al-Hassan ibn al-Haitham at right.
Reverse : Hadba minaret in Mosul.



Al-Hassan ibn al-Haitham


Al-Hasan ibn al-Haytham (الحسن بن الحسن بن الهيثم(‎‎ was an Arab Muslim scientist, mathematician, astronomer, and philosopher. Ibn al-Haytham made significant contributions to the principles of optics, astronomy, mathematics, visual perception, and the scientific method. He was the first to explain that vision occurs when light bounces on an object and then is directed to one's eyes. He spent most of his life close to the court of the Fatimid Caliphate in Cairo and earned his living authoring various treatises and tutoring members of the nobilities.


Ibn Al-Haytham is widely considered to be one of the first theoretical physicists, and an early proponent of the concept that a hypothesis must be proved by experiments based on confirmable procedures or mathematical evidence—hence understanding the scientific method 200 years before Renaissance scientists.

In medieval Europe, Ibn al-Haytham was honored as Ptolemaeus Secundus (the "Second Ptolemy") or simply called "The Physicist". He is also sometimes called al-Baṣrī after his birthplace Basra in Iraq, or al-Miṣrī ("of Egypt").



Hadba minaret

Known by locals as al-Hadba’, or the hunchback, because of its precarious slant, the minaret of the Great Nur al-Din Mosque is one of the primary landmarks of the old city of Mosul. Built by the Seljuk ruler Nur al-Din al-Zangi Atabeg, it was part of a religious complex including a mosque and a madrassa named for its patron. At the time of its completion in 1172, the minaret was 150 feet (45 meters) high, with with seven ornamental bands of brickwork at different levels around its cylindrical shaft. Five times a day, a muezzin would ascend the spiral stairway and sing the call to prayer from the balcony. By the time the famous traveler Ibn Battutah visited the city in the 14th century, the minaret was already listing significantly and had been given its nickname, which has remained ever since. In 1942, as part of a renovation campaign by the Iraqi Department of Antiquities, the mosque and madrassa were dismantled and reassembled according to a new plan, but the minaret remains as one of the few original elements of the medieval Nur al-Din complex. The minaret’s tilt has long been a source of concern. Despite efforts in the 1970s to stabilize the structures, cracks have proliferated along the minaret’s base. Meanwhile, some have built houses immediately adjacent to the minaret, and stand to lose their homes—if not their lives—were it ever to topple. The entire country of Iraq has appeared on the past two Watch lists, emphasizing the ongoing threat to Iraqi cultural heritage sites in the aftermath of the war. It is hoped that listing this specific site, deemed a priority for conservation work by the Iraqi authorities, will draw focused technical assistance to this project and reiterate WMF support for the conservation of Iraq’s heritage.




25 dinars

Item Code: 27/iq-3
Year: 1982.
Obverse: Arabian horses.
Reverse: 
Abbasid palace.

Abbasid Palace

The Abbasid Palace was probably established by Caliph Al-Naser Ledinillah in the 12thcentury, during the Abbasid period of history, making it one of the oldest palaces in the world, and it is the oldest surviving building in Baghdad. The State Establishment of Antiquities and Heritage renovated parts of the palace, which now exhibits an array of historical items depicting the country’s Arab Islamic history. It also features an architectonic façade, a central courtyard, arches, muqarnas (three-dimensional decorative corbels or stalactite vaults), ceilings with brickwork, and two storeys. It is believed that the Abbasid Palace was originally built for the purpose of hosting a madrasa, a place for Islamic theological studies.




Item Code: 28/iq-4
Year: 1986.
Obverse: Saddam Hussain.
Reverse: City gate; Martyr's Monument(
Al-Shaheed Monument)at center.


Al-Shaheed Monument (Arabicنصب الشهيد‎‎), also known as the Martyr's Memorial, is a monument in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, dedicated to the Iraqi soldiers who died in the Iraq-Iran war. The Monument was opened in 1983, and was designed by the Iraqi architect Saman Kamal and the Iraqi sculptor and artist Ismail Fatah Al Turk. During the 1970s and 1980s, Saddam Hussein's government spent a lot of money on new monuments, which included the al-Shaheed Monument. The monument is located on the East side of the Tigris river, near the Army Canal which separates Sadr city from the rest of Baghdad. A museum, library, cafeteria, lecture hall and exhibition gallery are located in two levels underneath the domes.





No comments:

Post a Comment